FAQs - AdmissionsFAQs - Online AppFAQs - Other

Question 1: Is a college degree required for admission?
Yes, either a BA or BS degree in a science field from an accredited US institution is required. Exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis.

Question 2: Do I need to take an admissions entrance exam to apply to the program?
Yes. Official test scores for the general aptitude portion (verbal, quantitative and analytical of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) taken with in the last 5 years, with a score greater than or equal to 300 on the combined verbal and quantitative (alternatively, adequate MCAT or DAT scores will be accepted in lieu of GRE scores.

Question 3: Do I need to take any of the GRE subject tests (Biochemistry, Cell and Molecular Biology, Biology, Chemistry, Mathematics, Physics)?
No, but if you do, they may help strengthen your application.

Question 4: Can I transfer from another graduate program?
No, the MSBS program does not currently accept transfer students, however up to 10 units of credit can be transferred, subject to the approval of the Graduate Dean.

Question 5: Can I transfer credits from another institution?
A maximum of 10 units from other institutions will be accepted as transfer credit at the discretion of the Dean.

Question 6: Do I need lab experience to apply to the MSBS program?
No, but lab experience may help you with your application.

Question 8: Is there an application fee? If so, how much is the application fee?
Yes, there is a non-refundable $50.00 application fee.

Question 7: Is there an advantage to being an in-state applicant?
No. All students are considered on the basis of their ability to complete the program.

Question 8: Is the application paper or electronic?
The application is available electronically on the Apply Now page.

Question 9: Do you accept international students?
Yes.  International students are welcome to apply. 

Question 1: What if I cannot remember my Login ID or PIN?
Send an email to EDS@westernu.edu. Please include your legal name, program you applied for, mailing address, phone number and birth date.

Question 2: What if I am locked out of my account?
Send an email to EDS@westernu.edu. Please include your legal name, Login ID and program you applied for.

Question 3: What is the difference between "Applications in Progress" and "Processed Applications"?
The Application Menu can have up to three sections:

  • Applications in Progress: If you wish to create a new application, click "NEW". If you started an application and didn't complete it, click on the appropriate term in this section.
  • Submitted Applications: Applications listed here have not been entered by Enrollment Data Services (EDS). This could take 1-2 business days after you "Complete" your application. If your application has not moved to "Processed Applications" after 2 business days, please contact EDS at EDS@westernu.edu
  • Processed Applications: Check your application status and view outstanding requirements, by clicking on the term in this section. Status updates can take 5-7 business days after receipt of application materials.

Question 4: How do I check my application status online?
Login to the "Admissions Application/View Application Checklist Login" web page using the Login ID and PIN you created with your application. Under "Processed Applications" click the Admission Term. Check Application Status; if "Incomplete", check for missing dates under Received column. Please keep in mind that it can take 5 to 7 business days, after receipt of your application materials, to post those items to your application. If your application materials are not posted to your account after the appropriate amount of time, please email EDS@westernu.edu for more information; include your legal name and any alternate name(s) that may appear on your documents.

Question 5: What if I want to change information on my application after I have completed it?
After your application is complete, changes cannot be made however, you can send us a word document, PDF or email which can be added to your application. Please send to EDS@westernu.edu. Please include your legal name, Login ID and program you applied for.

Question 6: How do I view the contents of my application after I have completed it?
Unfortunately, once your application is complete, you cannot view the contents. We suggest that you print each section prior to completing your application.

Question 7: When checking my application status, why do I see more than one term listed under "Processed Applications" when I've only submitted one online application?
If you applied to multiple programs/campuses via a Primary and/or Secondary Application, you will see all active applications listed here by the term. This doesn't necessarily mean we have received all required applications/materials. Please verify all requirements have been received. (See Question 4:"How do I check my application status online?" above.)

Question 8: What if I want to apply to more than one program? Do I need to create a new Login ID?
You can create multiple applications with one Login ID. Just select "New" under "Applications in Progress" to start a new application.

Question 9: Can I use my preferred name on my application?
Always use your "Legal" name on your applications (both Primary and Secondary). Nicknames/Preferred names must not be used. If the program you are applying to requires a Primary and Secondary application, your name must match exactly for both applications to be properly applied to your record. Please send an email to EDS@westernu.edu notifying us of errors as soon as possible. Please include your legal name, Login ID and program you applied to.

Question 10: What address should I use if I need to mail any additional application materials?
For official documents (transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc.) please mail to:
Western University of Health Sciences
Attn: EDS/program you are applying for (DO, PHARMD, DPM, etc.)
309 E Second Street
Pomona, CA 91766

For non-official documents (prerequisite worksheets, repeated coursework, etc.) please email to EDS@westernu.edu. Please include your legal name, Login ID and program you applied for.

Question 11: How do I pay my application fee?
All application fees require payments made by credit card. Only cards with Visa and Master Card logos will be accepted.No checks, money orders, or cash will be accepted for payment of application fees.

Question 12: What if I don't have a Visa or Master Card?
Payment may be made with a Visa or Master Card prepaid gift card which can be purchased at many major chain stores or online. Please be aware that the gift card must contain a balance sufficient to cover the application fee in one full payment.

Question 13: Are fee waivers accepted?
Application fees must be paid by credit card to submit your online application. To qualify for an application refund due to a financial hardship, you must contact Admissions for instructions and approval. After approval, your credit card charge will be refunded (this could take up to 10-15 business days).

Question 14: What if I cannot find a College Code for a school I attended?
Please be sure to search for your school in the "Previous College(s) Attended" section of your application using City and State by selecting the "Lookup College Code" link. If your school is not listed, please send an email to EDS@westernu.edu. Please include your legal name, Login ID and program you applied for. The college codes in our system are WesternU specific and may be different from college codes provided by your institution.

Question 15: How do I find a College Code for schools outside of the United States?
Please do not list foreign schools in the "Previous College" section of your application. All foreign coursework must be evaluated (course-by-course) through an approved evaluation service (World Education Services or Josef Silny & Associates). Instead of listing the foreign schools you attended, please list the service used to evaluate your foreign coursework. You can find World Education Services and Josef Silny& Associates by selecting the Lookup College Code link and searching by Country and selecting 'Foreign Country' and City 'Foreign City'. If you need additional assistance, please email EDS@westernu.edu. Please include your legal name, Login ID and program you applied for.

Question 16: How do I view the colleges that I have already entered?
Select "Previous College(s) Attended" from the Application Checklist. If you previously entered and saved school information to your application, the first school's details will be displayed in the form. Click "Enter or View another College or Degree" to view any additional schools. When you come to a blank form, there are no additional saved schools available. When you are done viewing your schools, select "Return to Checklist without saving changes".

Question 17: How do I remove a college from my application?
If you have added an incorrect college or duplicate college in error, it cannot be removed until your application is submitted. Make a list of any colleges that must be removed, then continue with your application. Once you have submitted your application, email EDS@westernu.edu requesting to have those schools removed from your application and specify the reason for removing them from your record. Please include your legal name, Login ID, and program you applied for.

Question 18: I am a current employee of WesternU, are there any additional forms needed for HR purposes?
If you are a current employee of WesternU, you must complete an Employee Authorization Release Form. You can request this form by sending an email to EDS@westernu.edu. Please include your legal name, Login ID and program you applied for.

Question 19: Will I receive notification that my application was received?
Yes, once your application is processed we will send an email confirming it was received. Please be sure to check your "Junk Mail" folder for this email and allow emails from the domain 'westernu.edu' (WesternU Faculty, Staff, and Students) to avoid any delay of its delivery. For more information on adding WesternU to your email whitelist, please review these Email Whitelist Instructions. If you need additional assistance, please email EDS@westernu.edu. Please include your legal name, Login ID and program you applied for.

Question 1: Is the program accredited?
Western University of Health Sciences is accredited by the Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities of the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).

Question 2: Are all classes held on the WesternU campus?
Yes, classes as well as laboratory rotations take place on the WesternU campus in Pomona, CA.

Question 3: As a graduate student, will I have an office?
No, but adequate workspace will be provided by your faculty advisor.

Question 4: When do classes begin?
Classes begin in the Fall (August) and Spring (January)

Question 5: When are classes or rotations typically held?
Classes are held during the day Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 5:00 pm. Laboratory work can also take place at other hours, including weekends, depending on experimental schedules. Those arrangements are made between individual students and their advisors.

Question 6: Is this a “Medical Masters” program?
No, WesternU offers a separate Master of Science in Medical Sciences degree for individuals interested in applying to professional programs at WesternU and elsewhere.

Question 7: Who will be teaching the classes?
Courses in the Graduate College of Biomedical Sciences (GCBS) are taught by GCBS faculty and faculty with joint appointments between GCBS and other WesternU colleges, such as the College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific, the College of Veterinary Medicine and the College of Pharmacy.

Question 8: Is this a full-time or part-time program?

Question 9: How long is the program?
2 years of full-time study.

Question 10: Can I take time off for family or health reasons?
Each case is considered on an individual basis, and the Dean makes the final determination.

Question 11: Are there different tracks?
No, however there are concentrations of study in the following areas:

  • Food and Nutrition Sciences
  • Regulatory Sciences
  • Translational Sciences
  • Biomedical Intellectual Property
  • Healthcare Bioinformatics

Question 12: How can I learn more about the financial aid available to me?
For more information regarding tuition, scholarships, and loans please visit the financing my education and financial aid pages.

Question 13: Is the program on a semester or quarter system?
The MSBS program utilizes the semester system.

Question 14: How many students are accepted to each entering class?
The MSBS program can accommodate up to 60 students per year.

Question 15: Does WesternU offer a PhD program? A DO/PhD dual degree program? What about a DVM/PhD?
While WesternU may offer a PhD program in the future, a PhD program or dual degree program is not offered at this time.

Question 16: Will I be required to write a thesis?
Yes, you will be expected to produce a professional-quality thesis by the end of the 2-year program.

Question 17: Will this program help me get into medical school? How about WesternU’s medical school?
Successful completion of this program may help applicants applying to medical school, but it has been specifically designed to help graduates find employment in biomedical research.

Question 18: I would like more information on WesternU’s research laboratories, where can I find this?
See WesternU’s research web site for more information regarding the facilities and equipment available for use.

Question 19: Is a laptop computer required? If so, what are the minimum specifications?
Yes, a laptop computer is required. You will be expected to supply your own computer or use computers available in the library or through arrangement with your faculty advisor.

Question 20: Are classes available online?
No, class attendance is mandatory for all enrolled MSBS students.

Question 21: Do I get time off for the holidays?
The WesternU campus normally closes on major holidays, see the university calendar for more details.

Question 22: Do I get summers off? Will I be expected to work in the lab over the summer?
Students supported on teaching/research assistantships are expected to be in attendance throughout the year, as arranged with their faculty advisor.

Question 23: Can I work in any laboratory at WesternU?
A number of WesternU faculty in the different colleges have agreed to mentor MSBS students. Students do rotations in several different labs as part of the process of selecting an advisor.

Question 24: How is this program/degree different from the MS Pharmaceutical Sciences degree?
The MSBS program is taught by faculty from across WesternU, and student research can entail a broad range of research topics, rather than one specific area. Also, the program seeks to prepare students for employment in a variety of biomedical research settings rather than just in the pharmaceutical industry.

Question 25: Can I visit your campus?
We would love for you to visit campus! Attend Preview Day where we will provide you with detailed information on the curriculum and profession as well as the admissions process. You will also have the opportunity to hear from the dean/upper administration and chat with current WesternU students as they tour you through the facilities.