The first step in the admissions process for the Master of Science in Biomedical Sciences (MSBS) program is to ensure you are on track to complete the requirements in time to apply for your preferred year of entry.
A Bachelor of Science degree with a strong science component; for the Healthcare Bioinformatics concentration, a background in Computer Sciences is recommended.
- BS must be obtained from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or its equivalent abroad
- Exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis
- All coursework taken from non-US institutions (including Canada) must be submitted to an approved service for evaluation
Recommended overall GPA of 2.5 on a 4.0 scale
General Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- GRE score greater than or equal to 300 on the combined verbal and quantitative
- GRE must be taken within the last five (5) years
- WesternU's school code is 4152
- Official test scores for the general aptitude portion (verbal, quantitative and analytical) of the GRE must be mailed directly from the Educational Testing Service to WesternU’s Enrollment Data Services Office
MCAT: No minimum score
- MCAT must be taken within the last 3 years
Official MCAT’s are received via a link we have with the AAMC where we will require your individual 16 digit verification code and AAMC ID
DAT: No minimum score
- Electronic – DAT must be taken within the last 3 years.
Three Letters of Recommendation
- Must come from individuals (not related to you) who are familiar with your scholarship and research potential
- Recommendation forms will be submitted electronically based on the information you submit within your online application.
- If you are a re-applicant from the previous year, only one new letter of recommendation is required.
Test of English as a Foreign Language – If Required
Required for all applicants submitting coursework from foreign schools. TOEFL scores are valid for two years. Official scores must be submitted at the time of application.
Minimum Recommended Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score:
Internet Based Test: 92 (23 speaking, 23 writing, 23 reading and 23 listening)
International Students: We do not require a separate application or fee, and you should be prepared to meet all of the requirements as outlined. If you need assistance with immigration (I-20 form, F-1 visa, SEVIS, etc.), our International Student Services (ISS) staff are available to help you. Visit the ISS website to learn more.
Preparing and Submitting your Application
The apply now page will provide you with step-by-step instructions as well as an application checklist. There are a number of supporting materials that make up your completed application, and it is essential that you print and carefully follow the checklist to ensure that you properly submit these pieces by the deadline.