FAQs - AdmissionsFAQs - PrerequisitesFAQs - Online AppFAQs - Other

Question 1: Do I need to have a bachelor's degree to apply?
No. However, a bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution or an institution that is recognized by U.S. Department of Education is preferred. Consideration will be given on a case-by-case basis to applicants holding an advanced professional degree, provided that you have completed at least 90 semester hours at the undergraduate level from a regionally accredited college or university or a college or university that is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, 30 units of which must consist of upper division coursework; i.e., junior or senior level courses.

Question 2: Do you require any prerequisite classes prior to application?
No. There are currently no required prerequisite courses for the MSHS program.

Question 3: Do I need to take the GRE (Graduate Record Exam) to apply?
Yes, the GRE is required for the MSHS program, however if you have a GPA of 3.0 (on a 4.0) scale) you may contact the Department of Health Sciences Education staff at (909) 469-5397 to confirm the requirement.

Question 4: Do you require a minimum grade point average (GPA) to apply?
Yes. You must have achieved a minimum 2.7 undergraduate grade point average and a minimum 3.0 graduate grade point average.

Question 5: Do I have to interview to be accepted into the program?
Yes, there is an on-campus interview for all accepted students. You will be notified post-interview whether you have been offered admission.

Question 6: Can I apply now and wait a semester to start?
Yes. You can apply now and defer your matriculation a semester.

Question 7: How can I request an application packet?
The apply now page will provide you with step-by-step instructions regarding how to apply, including frequently asked questions about our online application.

Question 1: How many units of coursework must be completed when I submit my application?
While there are no specific courses that must be taken prior to application, you must have complete a minimum of 90 semester units of coursework, 30 semester units of which are upper division.  Additional coursework (beyond the minimum) may be in progress at the time of application.

Question 1: How do I check my application status online?
You can check your application status by visiting the application status page.

Question 2: What if I want to change information on my application after I have completed it?
You may not change answers or documents submitted with your application, but you may upload additional, supplemental materials. To do so, visit the application status page and use the “Upload Materials” section of the page to submit your supplemental materials.

Question 3: What if I want to apply to more than one program? Do I need to create a new account?
You can apply to multiple programs using a single account. Visit our online application, log in, and click “Start New Application” at the bottom of the page.

Question 4: What address should I use if I need to mail any additional application materials?
For official transcripts please mail to:
Western University of Health Sciences
Attn: EDS/program you are applying for (MSMS, MSNE, MSPS, etc.)
309 E Second Street
Pomona, CA 91766

For unofficial documents, please upload to the online application as indicated in the application instructions.

Question 5: How do I pay my application fee?
All application fees require payments made by credit card. Only cards with Visa and Master Card logos will be accepted. No checks, money orders, or cash will be accepted for payment of application fees.

Question 6: What if I do not have a Visa or Master Card?
Payment may be made with a Visa or Master Card, a prepaid credit card may also be used to pay the application fee.

Question 7: Are fee waivers accepted?
Fee waivers may be granted prior to paying the application fee. To request a fee waiver, please contact the admissions office staff at (909) 469-5335. Fee Waivers are approved on a case by case basis.

Question 1: What can I do with an MSHS degree?
Many clinical providers opt to take the MSHS degree, Health Professions Education concentration, to enhance their skills in teaching and educating patients in areas of health care. Some graduates teach physician assistants, nurses, allied health, and medical students as part of their clinical patient care duties. This program is ideally suited for this type of medical provider. Many students use the degree to greatly improve the educational curriculum or health care project that their clinic, hospital or organization is striving to create.

Question 2: What type of courses are offered in the MSHS program?
Core courses offer educational principles in teaching and learning theory, instructional design and clinical teaching, evaluation methods, research, and instructional technology. Visit the examine the curriculum page for more information.

Question 3: Are the courses offered in a classroom or online?
Currently most courses are offered on campus in the evenings. A few courses are currently offered online and more are in the process of being developed for online learning. Many on-campus courses use online teaching to supplement student learning.

Question 4: How frequently and at what time of day are classes held?
On-campus classes are typically held Monday through Thursday from 6:00-9:00 in the evening. The day of the week will depend on which courses you choose to take.

Question 5: What is the average class size?
The average class size is 3-10 students.

Question 6: How are MSHS classes graded?
Student knowledge is tested primarily through papers and discussion. Class size is typically 3-10, so faculty members are able to easily assess your progress in class and through your writing assignments. There are very few timed examinations.

Question 7: How many credit hours do I need to graduate?
34 credit hours.

Question 8: How much is tuition?
The financing my education page will provide you with the current tuition and information regarding scholarship and loan options.

Question 9: How many years do I have to complete the program?
All requirements for the degree must be fulfilled within five years from the date of initial registration. The degree can be completed within one year of full-time study; two regular semesters and one summer session. However, most students elect part-time study; four regular semesters and one or two summer sessions. All students are expected to make reasonable progress each year toward the degree objective. Full-time graduate students are considered to be making reasonable academic progress when they maintain an overall GPA of at least 3.0 and complete 18 semester hours during the calendar year. Both part-time and full-time students must complete the graduation requirements within the time limits described under Graduation Requirements in the university catalog. For part-time students, reasonable academic progress will be determined by the faculty on an annual basis upon consultation with the student.

Question 10: Is there an opportunity to apply what I've learned by assisting in a WesternU class?
Yes. Many students contact existing faculty and serve as a teaching assistant or find their own mentor and work with them.

Question 11: Can I visit your campus?
We would love for you to visit campus! Attend Preview Day where we will provide you with detailed information on the curriculum and profession as well as the admissions process. You will also have the opportunity to hear from the dean/upper administration and chat with current WesternU students as they tour you through the facilities.