Step 1: Prerequisites and Application Requirements
The first step in the admissions process is to ensure you are on track to complete the application requirements in time to apply for your preferred year of entry.
International Students: We do not require a separate application or fee, and you should be prepared to meet all of the prerequisite and application requirements as outlined. If you need assistance with immigration (I-20 form, F-1 visa, SEVIS, etc.), our International Student Services (ISS) staff are available to help you. Visit the ISS website to learn more.
Step 2: Make Yourself a Competitive Candidate
Admission to the program is competitive so you should strive to not only meet, but exceed the minimum requirements. To get a feel for the competitiveness of the applicant pool we recommend that you view our class statistics page.
Step 3: Preparing and Submitting your Application
The apply now page will provide you with step-by-step instructions as well as an application checklist. There are a number of supporting materials that make up your completed application and it is essential that you print and carefully follow the checklist to ensure that you properly submit these pieces by the deadline.
Frequently Asked Questions
- A bachelor’s degree with a strong science component from a regionally accredited U.S. institution or at an equivalent foreign institution. Exceptions will be made on a case-by-case basis. All coursework taken from non-U.S. institutions (including Canada) must be submitted to an approved service for evaluation.
- Minimum overall GPA 2.50
There are no prerequisite courses required for the MSMS program. However to be considered an applicant, you must have completed all prerequisite courses required for your future professional program of study. It is the applicant’s responsibility to ensure that they have met the prerequisite requirements for their future professional program of study.
For admissions prerequisite information required for WesternU’s professional programs, please visit the website at www.prospective.westernu.edu. University Recruiter and Admissions Counselor contact information can also be found on our website.
- Additional courses such as upper division courses in molecular and cellular biology, genetics, immunology, anatomy and physiology will enhance one’s application.
- Admission to and/or completion of the MSMS program does not in any way imply a guarantee of acceptance to professional programs of study in the future.
Completion of prerequisite courses as outlined
Bachelor's Degree From A Regionally Accredited U.S. Institution
- Should have a strong science component
- Must be conferred by matriculation
- BS or BA in any subject is acceptable
- Degree must be completed by May 15th
Minimum Overall GPA of 2.5
- GPA must meet minimum requirements at the time of application and be maintained through admission into the program
Test Scores For One Standardized Admissions Test
Official scores must be received on or before the application deadline
WesternU’s school code is: 4152
|Professional Goal||Test Score Required||Centralized Application Service (optional)|
|Pre-medical||MCAT (within the last 3 years)||AACOMAS or AMCAS application|
|Pre-dental||DAT(within the last 3 years)||AADSAS|
|Pre-optometry||OAT (within the last 2 years)||OPTOMCAS|
|Pre-podiatry||MCAT (within the last 3 years)||AACOMAS|
|Pre-pharmacy||PCAT, HSRT or GRE (general)||PHARMCAS|
|Pre-physician assistant||GRE (general, within the last 5 years)||CASPA|
|Pre-physical therapy||GRE (general, within the last 5 years)||PTCAS|
|Pre-MSNE (graduate Nursing)||GRE (general, within the last 2 years)||NURSINGCAS|
Three Letters of Recommendation
- At least one letter must come from a science professor
- Committee letters are accepted
Methods of submitting letters of recommendation:
- Electronic: Letters can be electronically submitted by the recommender to the application service or other services such as Interfolio or Virtual Evals.
- Paper: Letters must be typed on official letterhead and must be signed by the recommender. Letter must be submitted in a sealed envelope that is signed over the seal by the recommender.
- Email: Letters may be submitted by email directly from the recommender. The recommender’s email address should be a business or school email address.
Official Transcripts From All Schools Attended
Proof of Legal US Residency – If Required
- If you are an international applicant or any other applicant who is not U.S. citizen and is living in the U.S., you should be prepared to provide proof of legal U.S. residency at the time of interview
- Proof of legal U.S. residency is required prior to any offer of acceptance.
Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) – If Required
- The TOEFL is required for all applicants submitting coursework from foreign schools
- A minimum score of 89 (23 speaking, 22 writing, 22 reading and 22 listening) for the Internet-Based Test (IBT) and must be submitted at the time of application
- TOEFL scores are valid for two years
- The TOEFL exam will be waived for permanent and temporary residents of the United States who have completed the English prerequisite from an accredited institution in the United States.
- English courses taken from foreign countries whose native language is English will be accepted (e.g., Canada, Australia, Great Britain, New Zealand and the British West Indies)