Many of our programs have made exceptions to the application process and requirements due to circumstances from the COVID-19 pandemic response at WesternU. Any references to in-person campus visits, events, lab work, or classroom interactions must be read in light of social distancing recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). WesternU has implemented remote teaching and learning across all campuses and only essential personnel are on campus at this time. Please contact us if you have any questions or need further information.
Designed for nurses with a Master’s degree in nursing, our two-year, full time program allows you to earn a doctoral degree while continuing in your practice. An extended 3-year curriculum is available.
Transforming health care, especially for vulnerable populations, recognizes the critical need for clinicians to design, evaluate, and continuously improve the context within which care is delivered. Nurses prepared at the doctoral level with a blend of practice, organizational, economic, and leadership skills will evaluate and apply clinical evidence and science to design systems of care delivery that are locally acceptable, economically feasible, and have significant impact on health care outcomes.
As the first college to develop a web-based nursing program, we are experienced in providing the support you need to succeed with distance learning. To provide flexibility and eliminate the need to commute daily to campus, we offer:
- Web-based curriculum and self-directed learning.
- Seminar intensives at the Pomona, CA, campus consist of two face-to-face sessions that occur at the beginning and end of the DNP program, with a virtual midpoint session. For a complete listing of dates please refer to the academic calendar. academic calendar.
- The DNP practice hours (1,000) and culminating scholarly project can be completed in your own community.
WesternU’s flexible web-based program leading to a DNP will meet your needs if you are:
- A Master’s prepared nurse wishing to advance your terminal degree in nursing and professional career.
- An advanced practice nurse wanting to earn a doctorate in nursing practice while working and keeping your family commitments.
- A Master’s prepared nurse who wants to develop expertise in population health in the care of vulnerable communities.
- A Master’s prepared nurse who desires the convenience of a flexible web-based program.
We prepare our graduates to assume practice leadership roles in nursing and healthcare as doctorally prepared clinicians, systems leaders of clinical programs, policy, and practice, and faculty, among other roles.
“I attended WesternU previously for my MSN, FNP-C. The faculty is amazing and the program is geared for those of us who work. The faculty at WesternU are clinicians and are current on healthcare policy and guidelines. The faculty is supportive and works hard to ensure success.”
– Elizabeth A. Cano, DNP
Please consider visiting us and attending a WesternU Preview. If you’d like to discuss specifics with an advisor, schedule an advising appointment, online, on campus, or over the phone. When you request additional information we’ll make sure you receive program updates and deadline reminders. Of course, you can always find us on social media.