The Doctor of Podiatric Medicine Advanced-Standing Program grants a DPM degree to foreign-trained physicians who already have a medical degree that is not from a U.S. or Canadian medical school. Students admitted to this program will be inserted into the 3rd year of education.
- A completed online application must be submitted on or before the application deadline.
- A non-refundable application fee of $100 must be paid online at the time you submit your application.
- All applicants must already have a medical degree that is not from a U.S. or Canadian medical school.
Transcripts and Evaluations
- Official transcripts for all coursework completed outside the United States must be submitted to one of the approved services listed below.
- All foreign transcripts must be evaluated course-by-course with letter grades, pass/fail, or credit/no credit, and must specify which courses are considered undergraduate, graduate and professional.
- The evaluation service should send/release the official evaluation directly to WesternU.
- Official transcripts for any courses completed at U.S. institutions must be submitted directly to WesternU.
English Language Proficiency
- Applicants must be proficient in English speaking and reading comprehension.
- All applicants whose native language is not English must submit official ETS TOEFL score results to WesternU.
- A minimum score of 79 for the Internet-Based test must be submitted at the time of application.
- TOEFL scores are valid for two years.
- The TOEFL exam will be waived for permanent and temporary residents of the United States who have completed at least six semester unit of College English/English Composition from an accredited institution in the United States.
- The TOEFL will be waived for those whose instruction in undergraduate and/or graduate degree programs was conducted entirely in English.
- English courses taken from foreign countries whose native language is English will be accepted (e.g., Canada, Australia, Great Britain, New Zealand and the British West Indies).
United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE)
- Must have passed USMLE Step 1. Minimum score is 194.
- Official USMLE Step 1 test results must be submitted directly to WesternU.
Letters of Recommendation
- A letter of recommendation from a medical school professor is required.
- The request for a letter of recommendation will be sent electronically to your recommender with the information you provide in your application.
- A current curriculum vitae with details of your current and/or past professional experiences must be submitted with your application.
Proof of Funding
- International students are required to provide proof of funding for one academic year before an I-20 will be issued.
- An interview is required for admissions consideration. Competitive applicants can expect to receive an interview invitation in September 2020. Further details will be provided at that time.
Proof of Legal US Residency – If Required
- Proof of legal U.S. residency is required prior to any offer of acceptance.
All application materials must be received on or before the deadline. Application materials received after the deadline are considered late and may not be processed.
- Frequently asked questions regarding our online application
You may submit your application online today, then follow-up with the additional documentation outlined in the application checklist above.
If the Admissions Committee determines you are eligible to interview, we will contact you to schedule an appointment.
We are happy to answer your questions as you navigate through the application process, so please do not hesitate to contact us if we can help.